We are looking for a Software Developer who will help us build and maintain Europeana’s user-facing web applications. These applications provide
end-users with web-based access to cultural heritage materials that are collected from thousands of
European museums, galleries, libraries, and archives. The role requires working within an agile team
with other developers and co-operating with other specialists, including user experience, API, platform,
and data ingest experts.
As a software developer, you will be working physically and remotely with colleagues from many European countries as part of (a) scrum team(s). You will contribute to the development and maintenance of the software that powers all our products. Europeana works only with Open Source software and you will be asked to make our own software also available as Open Source. You may be asked to share your experience and knowledge with the Open Source community and also with other developers in the libraries, archives and museum communities.
● Development of the main Europeana website and all user-facing web applications developed in
● Perform code reviews and follow the development processes.
● Ensure a high-quality implementation of the design and interaction provided by the UX team.
Knowledge and Experience required
● REST Web services
● HTTP protocol
● Vue.js, Nuxt.js and Node.js
● Automated testing, including unit, feature & system
● Jenkins, Travis, Git
● CSS Preprocessors (such as SCSS)
● Frameworks such as Bootstrap
● Ability to work in Agile/Scrum teams
● Ability to work accurately and carefully for long periods, with an eye for detail, and focused on
the avoidance of errors
● Ability to function effectively in case of a setback, resistance or pressure
● Good written and spoken English with an ability to express complex technical ideas to both
technical and non-technical audiences
Further, it is a plus if you have knowledge of
● Search engines (e.g. Apache Solr)
● NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB, Apache Cassandra, Neo4j)
● Cloud & containerisation technologies (e.g. Cloud Foundry, Docker, Kubernetes)
Salary and benefits
● Your monthly salary will be be tween EUR 2,800 - 4,400 (base d on full-time employment),
depending on the level of your experience.
● Additionally, you will receive a (pro-rated) holiday allowance of 8% and an annual (year-end,
pro-rated) bonus of 8.33%.
● 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
● We offer 42.25 days holiday per year (based on full-time employment).
Across Europe, galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAM) are digitising their collections. Europeana brings them together online and works hard to make sure people can find and use them. For work, for learning or just for fun. We work with a network of cultural organisations to provide creative and innovative forms of access to culture. Our work is guided by creative collaboration, supportive teamwork and the idea that sharing and reusing cultural content can transform the world. We represent centuries of trusted guardianship by Europe’s cultural institutions and so must always ensure that whilst we’re pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with today’s technology, our products and resources are robust and reliable. Our office is based in the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
Hoe nu verder